A prospective donor once asked me why we charged a 1% administrative fee when ‘all we do is write checks.’ Yes, we do write checks and those checks are written on behalf of very generous donors. But we do so much more to achieve our mission — Stimulating Philanthropy to Build a Better Community. During just one recent week, we:
- Held two Board committee meetings (Investment and Finance) ensuring that we are effective stewards of the assets entrusted to us.
- Led three giving circle leadership team meetings with volunteers (WGA, My Village Fund and LGBT Community Fund).
- Convened a Beaches Community Fund grantmaking meeting to consider grant recommendations for the second year.
- Assembled a panel of nonprofit practitioners to present the needs of the community and the pros and cons of collaboration to the Weaver Philanthropic Initiative class. Weaver PI identifies and brings together emerging philanthropists to learn about community needs and create a personal charitable giving strategy.
- Convened two Professional Advisory Council meetings (St. Augustine and Downtown/ Jacksonville) with presentations on Socially Responsible Investing.
- Hosted two meetings for nonprofit organizations holding endowments with the Foundation – one with agencies in the TCF Investment Pool and one with agencies in a Custom Managed Pool. We brought in each group’s Investment Advisor for an in-person update on their endowments.
- Planned and executed a presentation on the benefits of introducing cultural programming to children under age three. More than 25 early childhood and arts agencies attended to hear a speaker on Baby Theatre, sponsored by the Chartrand Foundation and planned and implemented by our staff.
- Met personally with Senators Rubio and Nelson in Washington to advocate for the philanthropic and nonprofit sector.
Oh, and back to the prospective donor who thought all we did was write checks – between Monday and Thursday of that week, we processed 64 grant checks totaling $821,405! If you’d like to know more about what we do for and on behalf of donors, we’d be happy to talk to you.